Writers read, right? Well, mostly, but sometimes writers get so involved in writing that they forget to read.
Yep. Forget to read.
And this is right where I have found myself lately, reading nothing but my own writing. Now I love my stories, otherwise I wouldn’t write them, right? But I need to branch out. I need to read something else.
So I came up with my own reading challenge. And I was hoping you might join me. Here’s how it works. We have the rest of the year to read 10 books. 10 *different* kinds of books. I have devised a list with choices. (There are more than 10 so if one type just doesn’t do it for you, you can choose another.)
Once a month, I’ll come back and tell you which book I marked off my list and how I feel about the book. Not necessarily a review but sort of. You can come on and comment and tell me about the book you read and perhaps we’ll get some new ideas and find some new authors.
If something happens and you miss a month, never fear. We’re not keeping score. This is for fun as well as to keep me…er, I mean us, focused.
Okay…here’s the list
1o book reading challenge
- A book recommended by a book seller or librarian
- A book published in a different decade
- A book you’ve already read before
- A book you should have read in school
- A book that has been banned before
- A book from a genre you don’t normally read
- A book that intimidates you
- A book you’ve been meaning to read for a while
- A book you quit reading once before
- A book published before you were born
- A book recommended by someone close to you
- A book published this year
- A book about another century
- A book you’ve never heard of before
- A book recommended by amazon/internet/cyber friend
So are you ready…? Then go!
BTW–I’m reading 50 Ways To Ruin a Rake by Jade Lee. (and I’m loving it) It’s my number 13. :)
What are you reading?
10 thoughts on “Reading Challenge”
If I were you, I would start reading books from other authors that are your friends. See how their stuff differs from yours. Good luck. I love your books.
LOL Glitchy computer! I hope you’ll come back when I finish this post. It’s not supposed to be live yet! LOL
This sounds like fun! May have to stick a few of these to my list.
I am reading a book from category #6. I usually don’t read mysteries, but I am enjoying Pray for Silence by Linda Castillo. Thanks for the fun reading challenge!
I’m doing 11. None like Him by Jen wilkin
Im doing 8. Caroline’s Secret by Amy Lillard :-) I’m loving it.
i’m reading “Gunpowder Tea” by Margaret Brownly. It is number 8
I’m doing 3….Saving Gideon….I love it!!!
That sounds fantastic! I’m up for the challenge!
Great idea! I’m reading First Comes Love by Emily Giffin